Updated: January 1, 2023
This Policy applies (unless a different Policy is displayed) to the processing of personal information collected by us:
- in the usual course of business, including through our websites (such as streamsets.com (and any of its sub-domains, including academy.streamsets.com and community.streamsets.com) or any other website which includes a link to this Policy is posted) (collectively, the “Website“), as well as in connection with our events, sales and marketing activities; and
- when you use any of our products and services as an authorized end user (for example, as an employee of one of our customers who provided you with access to the services) (the “Services“) where we act as a controller of your personal information.
“You” may be a visitor to one of our websites, an end user of one or more of our Services.
We recommend that you read this Policy in full to ensure you are fully informed. However, to make it easier for you to review those parts of this Policy which apply to you, we have divided up the document into the following sections:
- WHO WE ARE (applicable to everyone)
- PRIVACY FOR THE WEBSITE (applicable to visitors to our Website and users of our Community Forum and the StreamSets Academy)
- PRIVACY FOR THE SERVICES (applicable to end users of the Services)
- SPECIAL NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
- GENERAL INFORMATION (applicable to everyone)
1. WHO WE ARE
We are a technology company headquartered in the US providing a multi-cloud DataOps platform for modern data integration, helping enterprises to continuously flow big, streaming and traditional data to their data scientists and data-intensive applications. DataOps is the application of DevOps practices to data management and integration to reduce the cycle time of data analytics, with a focus on automation, collaboration and monitoring. We have offices in the Silicon Valley, Austin, London, Barcelona and Sydney and employees based all over the world. You can find out more about us here.
2. PRIVACY FOR THE WEBSITE
This section describes how we collect and use personal information in the usual course of business, including through our Website, as well as in connection with our events, sales and marketing activities.
2.1 What information do we collect?
Information that you provide voluntarily: Our Website offers various ways that individuals may contact us (such as through form submissions, email or phone) in order to inquire about our company and Services and otherwise interact with us (such as through our Community Forum or taking part in our courses through the StreamSets Academy). For example, when creating an account for our Community Forum or the StreamSets Academy, participating in a survey, making a purchase, expressing an interest in obtaining additional information about StreamSets or our Services, subscribing to marketing or otherwise contacting us, StreamSets collects personal information from you. We may also collect information from you in person at a tradeshow or event or via a phone call with one of our sales representatives. The personal information we collect may include:
- contact information (such as your name, address, telephone number and email address) as well as the nature of your communication;
- professional information (such as your company name, job title, company address);
- marketing information (such as your contact preferences, source/campaign);
- course information (such as course completion status, results and certificates, and questions and answers) if you take part in the StreamSets Academy; and
- any additional information you choose to provide to us when completing any ‘free text’ boxes in our forms (for example, for event sign-up or bot interaction) or when you communicate with us or other users on the Website (for example, in questions or comments you submit to our Community Forum).
Information we collect automatically: When using our Website, certain information is automatically collected by most browsers or through your device (such as your IP address, your operating system, your browser, device information, unique device identifiers, mobile network information, request information (speed, frequency) and information about how you interact with our Website and other websites). In some countries, including countries in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), this information is considered ‘personal data’ under data protection laws. Some of this information is collected using cookies and similar tracking technology.
Information we collect from other sources: In order to enhance our ability to provide relevant marketing, offers and services to you and update our records, we may obtain information about you from other sources, such as public databases, joint marketing partners, data providers, social media platforms, as well as from other third parties. This information may include:
- mailing addresses, job titles, email addresses, phone numbers, intent data (or user behaviour data), IP addresses, social media profiles, LinkedIn URLs and custom profiles, for purposes of targeted advertising, delivering more relevant email content, event promotion and profiling; and
- updated delivery or payment information used to correct our records; purchase or redemption information; and customer support and enrollment information.
2.2 How do we use your information?
We use the information we collect or receive (alone or in combination):
- To provide, operate and maintain the Website, including our Community Forum and the StreamSets Academy.
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to send you requested materials and newsletters, as well as information and materials regarding our products and services.
- To send administrative information to you, for example, information regarding our Websites and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies.
- To send you marketing communications, including via email and SMS in compliance with applicable laws and in accordance with your preferences, that we believe may be of interest to you.
- To personalize your experience on our Websites and other websites by presenting products and offers tailored to you.
- For our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new products, enhancing, improving or modifying our Websites and services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities.
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
3. PRIVACY FOR THE SERVICES
This section applies to the personal information we collect and process about end users of our Services. When we refer to “end users” we mean any individual our customers have authorized to use and access the Services.
For certain personal information we collect and process through the Services, we act as a processor on behalf of our customers (your employer if you are an end user). When we are the processor, our customers and their end users that control what personal information we collect through the Services and how we use it. This section applies only to the personal information we collect and use for our own purposes (where we act as a controller) and does not cover any personal information we process on behalf of our customers.
In all cases, StreamSets is not responsible for the privacy or security practices of its customers, which may differ from those set out in this Policy.
3.1 What information do we collect?
Information you provide to us: You or your organizations administrator may provide certain personal information to us through the Services – for example, when you create a StreamSets account to access and use the Services, when you consult with customer support or send us an email or communicate with us in any way in connection with the Services (for example, to make a support request). The personal information we collect may include:
- Business contact information (such as your name, job title, organization, address and email address).
- Account log-in credentials (such as your username and password).
- Troubleshooting and support data (which is data you provide when you contact StreamSets for help, such as the products you use, and other details that help us provide support. For example, contact or authentication data, the content of your chats and other communications with StreamSets, data about the condition of your device, and the products you use related to your help inquiry).
- Payment information (including your credit card numbers and associated identifiers, billing address and background information, but only where you pay for the Services).
If you ever communicate directly with us, we will maintain a record of those communications and responses.
Information we collect automatically: In connection with your organization’s deployment of certain StreamSets Services, we may automatically collect certain data relating to the performance and configuration of the Services, and our customers and their end-user’s consumption of and interaction and use of such Services (for example, we may know who the most active end users are, which pages of the Services are visited and which links are clicked or features are used) (we call this “Usage Data”).
Usage Data is generally technical information obtained from software or systems hosting the Services, devices accessing the software or systems and/or log files generated during the use of the Services. The information collected as Usage Data does not include any of the customer’s pipeline data processed through the Services and does not generally specifically identify any end user (for example, by reference to their name).
We use Usage Data to maintain the security of our Services, to provide necessary functionality, as well as to improve performance of the Services, to assess and improve customer and user experience of the Services, to review compliance with applicable usage terms, to identify future opportunities for development of the Services and to assess capacity requirements.
If you are using StreamSets Data Collector or StreamSets Transformer, the customer administrator can disable collection of Usage Data from the Services via by going to the Settings menu, choosing Usage Data, and setting the option to share usage data to off. Further, if you are using these products, the customer administrator can disable our collection of Usage Data from the Services via the administrator settings or prevent this information from being shared with us by blocking transmission at the local network level.
If you are using StreamSets DataOps Platform, our customers can disable collection of certain Usage Data from the Services by going to the Settings menu in the Services, our customers can disable collection of certain Usage Data from the Services by going to User Settings in Control Hub and setting the option to Share Usage Data to off.
3.2 How do we use your information?
- Provide and facilitate delivery of Services. For example, for the creation or administration of your StreamSets account, to communicate with you, and to provide you with customer support or other services you request, such as product updates, product patches and fixes and similar communications and sending other administrative and account related communications.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To manage the customer account, including for billing purposes as well as for our customer relationship management.
- To prevent potentially illegal activities. To respond to legal requests or prevent fraud, we may need to disclose any information or data we hold about you. If we receive a subpoena or other legal request, we may need to inspect the data we hold to determine how to respond.
- To improve our Services and develop new products and features,, such as enhancing or modifying our products and Services.
- To support our marketing and sales programs, including measuring the success of our marketing initiatives and to inform sales conversations.
- To provide us with customer and end user insights such as identifying usage trends and and analysing customer and end user interactions with our Services in order to provide improved user experience.
- As part of our efforts to keep the Service safe and secure (for example, to help monitor, prevent and detect fraud, enhance security, monitor and verify identity or access, and combat spam or other malware or security risks).
- To comply with and enforce applicable legal and regulatory requirements (such as anti-money laundering and fraud prevention).
Cookies are small text files placed on your device to store data that can be recalled by a web server in the domain that placed the cookie. To give you control over the collection and use of your personal information for our website, we provide you with the right to Opt-In to such collection via an Opt-In link located at the footer of our website. If you do not Opt-In, we will only store those cookies on your device that are essential for our Services and/or proper functioning of our website. As is common to many online services, our Services may make use of the following third party cookies to collect certain Usage Data directly from end-user browsers for the purposes described in this Policy (see the Section “Information we collect automatically” above for further information).
- Google Analytics: Further information on how Google collects and uses this data can be found at https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. You can opt-out of all Google supported analytics within the Services by visiting https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
- Mixpanel: We use Mixpanel to understand your usage of our products to improve them and monitor the effectiveness of our marketing programs. You can opt-out of Mixpanel analytics within the Services by visiting www.mixpanel.com/optout. Further information about the cookies used by Mixpanel can be found at www.mixpanel.com/terms/.
- Intercom: We use Intercom to connect with users who need support and questions answered in the product. You can opt-out of Intercom analytics by visiting Cookies Policy. Further information can be found at https://www.intercom.com/legal/terms-and-policies.
- DataDog: We use DataDog to provide a better user experience for you and collect data used to diagnose end user issues. It records and captures an end user’s session so that we can monitor user actions to simplify or enhance your experience using the product, and to improve the quality and usability of our products. You can opt-out of DataDog support analytics within the service by visiting https://www.datadoghq.com/legal/cookies/. Further information about privacy can be found at: https://www.datadoghq.com/legal/privacy/
Cookies are not the only way we recognize or track end-users. We may use other, similar technologies from time to time to collect certain Usage Data for the purposes described in this Policy. For example, to better understand how our Services are being used and improve user experience by tracking how you interact with the Services and where you click. We use UserFlow in the StreamSets DataOps Platform to provide a better user on-boarding experience. Further information about how UserFlow collects and uses this data can be found at: https://userflow.com/policies/privacy.
If you would like to manage the cookies stored on your device, you should visit your Internet browser’s help menu for more information.
4. SPECIAL NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) confers upon California Residents certain rights to safeguard and control the collection and use of their personal information. If you are not a California Resident, as that term is defined in the CCPA, this section does not apply to you.
4.1 As a California Resident, you have the following rights:
- The right to know what personal information we have collected about you over the previous 12 months, including the categories of personal information, the categories of sources from which we collect your personal information, the business or commercial purpose for its collection, the categories of third parties that we disclose your personal information to, and specific pieces of personal information that we have collected about you. If you would like to exercise this right, email email@example.com with the subject line: “CCPA Request to Know”.
- The right to delete personal information that we have collected about you, subject to certain exceptions. If you would like to exercise this right, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “CCPA Request to Delete”.
- The right to correct inaccurate personal information that we maintain about you. If you would like to exercise this right, email email@example.com with the subject line: “CCPA Request to Correct”.
- The right to opt-out of the sale or “sharing” (as that term is defined by the CCPA) of your personal information. As further explained above, StreamSets does not sell or share your personal information and has not done so during the previous 12 months.
- The right to limit the use of Sensitive Personal Information (SPI), except where the business does not collect or process your SPI for purposes of inferring characteristics about you and limits its use of SPI to that which is necessary to provide the requested services. We limit our use of SPI to that which is necessary and do not provide you with the ability to further limit the use of your SPI.
- The right not to receive discriminatory treatment in the event you exercise one of your rights conferred by the CCPA. In the event you choose to exercise your rights under the CCPA, we will not deny you goods or services, charge you a different price, or provide a different level or quality of goods or services because you exercised your rights under the CCPA.
4.2 Important information on how to exercise your rights under the CCPA.
- How we verify your request: You may exercise your rights by submitting a request to do so via the email address referenced above. Once we receive your request, we will confirm its validity as required under the CCPA. Depending upon the nature of your request, we may seek additional information from you as required by law.
- Your right to use an authorized agent: You may elect to use an Authorized Agent to exercise your rights on your behalf. In order for us to accept a request from an Authorized Agent, it must be accompanied by a writing, signed by you as the requesting consumer, wherein you authorize the Agent to act on your behalf. To verify the request, we will contact the requesting consumer using the contact information that we maintain. When confirmed, we will proceed with your request according to our internal procedures and as required by the CCPA.
4.3 Notice at Collection for California Residents
- Categories of personal information to be collected and used about you, the business purposes for each category, and the retention period (or if no defined period, the factor(s) determining retention):
|Category of Personal Information collected:||Business Purpose for collection:||Retention Period (or, if not defined, the criteria used to determine retention period):|
|Contact Information including, for example, your name, address, telephone number and email address; and your business contact information/preferences||For our business operational purposes including our marketing operations, the management of our sales operations, and fulfillment of our obligations to you||Website: No defined period. For as long as we have an ongoing, legitimate business need to do so or comply with legal requirements
Services: No defined period. For the duration of the Services; subsequently for legal compliance, customer relationship management; establish or defend a legal claim
|Professional Information including, for example, your company name, job title, company address||For our business operational purposes including our marketing purposes, the management of sales operations, and for fulfillment of our obligations to you||Website: No defined period. For as long as we have an ongoing, legitimate business need to do so or comply with legal requirements
Services: No defined period. For the duration of the Services; subsequently for legal compliance, relationship management; establish or defend a legal claim
|Course Information from your participation in the StreamSets academy including, for example, certifications you have earned and courses you have completed or in which you are enrolled||For our business operational purposes including to fulfill our obligations to you and provide you with your requested Services||Website: N/A
Services: No defined period. For the duration of the Services; subsequently for legal compliance, relationship management; establish or defend a legal claim
|Contents of communication where we are the intended recipient including, for example, completing any ‘free text’ boxes in our forms||For our business operational purposes including our marketing operations, managing our customer relationships, customer and technical support, and sales operations||Website: No defined period. For as long as we have an ongoing, legitimate business need to do so or comply with legal requirements
Services: No defined period. For the duration of the Services; subsequently for legal compliance, relationship management; establish or defend a legal claim
|Usage Data, as defined in this Policy, including, for example, Cookies as explained in section 3.3 of this Policy||For our business operational purposes including to maintain the security and functionality of this Website and our Services (including debugging and repairs), provide you with requested Services and/or support, and to fulfill our obligations to you||Website: No defined period. For as long as we have an ongoing, legitimate business need to do so or comply with legal requirements
|Services Account Information, including, for example, troubleshooting and support data and account log-in credentials*, payment information (including credit card numbers)*||For our business operational purposes including to maintain the security and functionality of this Website and our Services (including debugging and repairs), provide you with requested Services and/or support, and to fulfill our obligations to you||Website: N/A
*Denotes Sensitive Personal Data
- We do not sell or share your personal information or sensitive personal information that we collect about you.
5. GENERAL INFORMATION
5.1 Who do we share your personal information with?
We do not sell or share your personal information with third parties except as outlined below. We may disclose your personal information to the following categories of recipients:
- Service providers. In order to provide these services to you, it is necessary for us to disclose your information to contracted third parties and service provider partners who perform certain functions of our Services on our behalf. Examples include payment providers (to authorize, record, settle and clear payment card transactions); cloud hosting providers (to provide data storage and processing services); communications providers (to process new queries and to manage our emails); and analytics companies to perform analysis on the Website and Services.
- StreamSets affiliates. StreamSets is headquartered in San Francisco and has offices in Silicon Valley, Austin, London, Barcelona and Sydney, and employees based all over the world. We may share information with our parent companies, subsidiaries and/or affiliates for use and processing purposes described in this Policy.
- Compliance with laws. We may disclose information where we are legally required to do so in order to comply with applicable law, governmental requests, a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process (including in response to public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements).
- Vital interests and legal rights. We may disclose information where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person, violations of our Terms of Service, this Policy or any other terms, or as evidence in litigation in which StreamSets may be involved.
- Business transfers. We may share or transfer information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company, provided that we inform the buyer it must use your personal information only for the purposes disclosed in this Policy.
- Consent. We may share your information with any other person with your consent to the disclosure.
- Other Website and Service users. If you register for and participate in our Community Forum, any questions or comments you provide to the forum and your profile information may be viewed by other Community users and any member of the public who accesses the website. You can control your visibility settings on the Community Forum by going to https://community.streamsets.com/settings/general. If you register for a course with the StreamSets Academy with an email address that is owned by your employer, information about the courses you take may be shared with the administrator of your employer’s account.
5.2 International Data Transfers
The StreamSets Websites are hosted in the United States. Our Services are provided from the United States or Europe (Germany). If you are using the Websites or Services from outside the United States, please be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed by StreamSets in our facilities and by those third parties with whom we may share your personal information, in the United States and other locations where we have offices or where customers deploy the Services. These countries may have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country. However, we have taken appropriate safeguards to require that your personal information will remain protected in accordance with this Policy.
5.3 Legal basis for processing personal information (EEA visitors and end users only)
If you are resident in or a visitor from the EEA, our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it. In most cases we use personal information: where we need it to perform a contract with you; where the processing is in our legitimate business interests; or, where required by applicable law, we have your consent to do so. In some cases, we may have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you. Typically, our legitimate interests include: (i) providing, improving and personalizing our Website and Services; (ii) managing our relationship with you; and (iii) conducting our marketing activities. If you have questions or need further information about the legal basis we rely on to collect and use your personal information, please contact us using the contact details provided under the “Contact Us” section 5.10 of this Policy. The data controller of your personal information is StreamSets, Inc.
5.4 Your data protection rights:
Where we are acting as a controller, and depending on your location and subject to applicable law, you may have the following rights with regard to the personal information we control about you:
- You can access, correct, update, delete, and deactivate your personal information through the Website by signing in to your account and editing your information as desired. You can also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In addition, if you are a resident of or visitor from the EEA, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information. To exercise these rights email email@example.com .
- You can opt out of receiving marketing emails from us by clicking the “unsubscribe” link in the email, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org . If you choose to no longer receive marketing information, we may still communicate with you regarding such things as your security updates, product functionality, responses to service requests, or other transactional, non-marketing purposes.
- If we have collected and processed your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. Contact details for data protection authorities in EEA are available here.
5.5 How do we keep your personal information secure?
We are committed to security and privacy and maintaining appropriate physical, technical and administrative standards to protect the personal information that we collect. However, no electronic transmission over the Internet or information storage technology can be guaranteed to be 100% secure, so you should take care in deciding what information you send us in this way.
5.6 How long do we keep your personal information?
We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements, to enforce our agreements or comply with our legal obligations). When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymize such data. If this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
5.7 Third-Party Websites and Apps:
This Policy only applies to the StreamSets Website and Services. Any access to and use of any linked websites or services is not governed by this Policy, but instead is governed by the privacy policies of those third parties. We are not responsible for the information practices of such third parties.
5.8 Children’s information
You must have reached the age of majority to register as a member of or be permitted use of the Website or Service. Any information we receive from people we believe to be under this age will be purged from our database. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13 or have any reasonable grounds to believe that children under the age of 13 are accessing our Website or using our Service. If you believe that a child under 13 may have provided us personal information, please contact us at email@example.com .
StreamSets does not have actual knowledge that it sells or shares the personal information of consumers under 16 years of age.
5.9 Changes to this Notice
StreamSets will review and update this Policy periodically and will note the date of its most recent revision above. If we make material changes to this Notice, we will notify you either by prominently posting a notice of such changes prior to implementing the changes or by directly sending you a notification. We encourage you to review this Policy frequently to be informed of how StreamSets is protecting your information.
5.10 Contact us
If you have any questions or suggestions regarding this Policy, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing at:
1875 S Grant St, STE 810
San Mateo, CA 94402